Recipes & Tasting Notes
We’re a passionate bunch at Monteiths with a real flavour for freshly prepared, locally sourced food alongside great cocktails. Our team have curated a selection of great food & drinks recipes for you to try at home. Hopefully these give you a taste of what we’re all about.
Ever increasing in popularity, lamb rump is an amazingly tasty cut and an excellent alternative to more traditional beef dishes. As with all our produce at Monteiths we buy local and our lamb is no exception. Our meat suppliers Shaws are located just outside Edinburgh in Lauder near the Scottish boarders. They work closely with a small group of farmers in the area and only select the highest quality animals.
To make our lamb rump with celeriac, bacon & smoked mushrooms for 2 people you will need:-
Lamb rump (7oz per person)
Vacuum sealed bag/pack
4 Bacon rashers
1 clove garlic
300g button mushrooms
1/4 of celeriac
200ml double cream
Hickory chips for smoking
- Marinade the lamb rump with olive oil, 5g rosemary and 1 clove of garlic
- Put into a vacuum pack, seal the pack and put in a bath at 55 degree celsius for 2 hours 15 minutes
- Refrigerate until you’re ready to cook
- In a smoking hot pan place the lamb fat side down and sear all sides and put in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 5 minutes
- Put mushrooms in a tray with smoking chips, enough to cover the bottom
- Add 200ml of water to a smaller tray and add the lamb rump.
- Cover both trays in tin foil and cook in the oven at 190 degrees celsius for an hour
- Pan fry the bacon until crispy
- 1/4 off celeriac chopped
- Boil in water until soft then drain
- Add 200 ml of double cream and 100ml of milk
- Pass through a chinese hat and blend to make puree texture
Plate up around 7oz per person or more if you’re feeling hungry along with the bacon. Add the puree around the lamb & bacon. For wine we recommend a nice fruity red, perhaps a Rioja or Pinot Noir. If you're not a red wine fan a super dry white wine will also go well.
Enjoy!Back to Recipe list