Scottish Food Recipes & Tasting Notes
We’re a passionate bunch at Monteiths with a real flavour for freshly prepared, locally sourced Scottish food alongside great cocktails. Our team have curated a selection of great food & drink Scottish recipes for you to try at home. Hopefully these give you a taste of what we’re all about.
Hay Roast Turkey
Christmas in Edinburgh really is a magnificant time to be in the city. The winter chill kicks & the city comes alive with the Christmas spirit. The season to eat, drink & be jolly is something we love to fully embrace & with Chritmas fast approaching we thought we would share the recipe & cooking method for rustling up our delicious hay roast turkey dish.
HAY ROAST TURKEY with maple bacon, sprouts, sage & onion bon bons, roasters & gravy
Ingredients (serves two)
4 x 100g slices of oven cooked turkey
4 x sage & onion stuffing bon bons
4 x slices of maple bacon
12 x halved roast potatoes
20 x halved sprouts
Salt & pepper
Cooking The Turkey
Baste the turkey with butter to prevent it from drying out. Pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan assisted. Cook for approximately 30 minutes per kilo.
Stuffing Bon Bons
4 sage leaves finely chopped
65g fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 beaten egg
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat a frying pan until medium hot, add the butter, onions & sage & gently fry for five minutes until softened
2. In a bowl mix the breadcrumbs with the softened onions. Add the egg & season with salt & pepper.
3. Mix well then form into golf ball sized balls & place on a roasting tray. Roast in the oven (200C) for 20 minutes until crisp.
Oven cook the bacon on a baking rack in the oven (200C) for 15 minutes until edges begin to brown. Remove & brush with maple syrup & bake for another 5 minutes until golden brown
Cut the sprouts into halves & bold for 5 minutes or until tender
12 new potatoes
1 sprig of rosemary
5ml Olive oil
Salt & pepper
1. Boil the new potatoes (skins on) for 20 minutes until soft
2. Take of the heat, allow to cool before removing the skins
3. Cut into halves & place on a baking tray with the rest of the ingredients & cover with tin foil
4. Roast in the oven (200C) for 25 minutes turning occasionally until crispy
1. Bunch the sprouts in the centre of the plate, arrange the turkey on top & drizzle gravy on top
2. Add the roast potatoes to the side
3. Garnish the turkey with the bacon. Either leave in strips or cut & sprinkle over
4. Add the stuffing balls last to retain their crispiness
Our festive menu is available by pre-order until December 24th. We will be closed on Christmas day & open on the 26th from 3pm.
From all at Monteiths we wish you a very merry Christmas & happy New Year!Back to Recipe list